Saturday, November 13, 2010

Beja Camel riders completed


I haven't been able to paint at all lately as I have been in Abu Dhabi but I managed to finish my last four camel mounted Beja for the battles of 2nd El Teb and Tamai today. At my chosen ratio of 1:33 I need 18 mounted fugures to represent the forces involved and here they are. I won't need any more of these just the odd figure to use as a standard bearer for my infantry units. In fact the Beja cavalry was spread around the army in smaller units but if I reflect that organisation then we would only have units of two figures so, for wargaming purposes, I am going to use them as a "big wing" (or maybe two).

Here is a picture of a Beja saddle for a camel. The saddle posts are distinctive and, as ever, are accurately modelled on the Perry Miniatures figures.

9 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Fantastic - they look good!!

Matt said...

Great models there! Just started buying colonial period figures myself (Foundry mainly). Love the look of them on the tabletop. Bit lost on the uniforms/headgear of the British troops during the Indian Mutiny though. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Just check the latest posting on my blog.
Thanks.

legatus hedlius said...

Yes the Indian Mutiny is totally confusing as to uniforms. The best book is the Foundry one...

Bartender said...

When I was young I watched the movie Khartoum maybe 20 times!

Anonymous said...

Legatus,

Any news on the Perry plastic Beja/Ansar?

Theo

Bluewillow said...

interesting the first time I have seen a mahidist saddle. The saddle tree on that saddle in very unusual but practable, two forked branches and easily expandable panels with leather thonging to make it easy to resize for each rider.

cheers
matt

B said...

Disccover the life of the Beja people now. Quick 8 minute video covers their world.

http://youtu.be/E5gdZFOEhmc

Phil said...

Great photos...and blog!

Steve h said...

They look great love the camel skintone